Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Walking in Pittsburgh...

...usually involves stairs or hills. For some inexplicable reason, I decided to walk from the Dan Marino Baseball Field in South Oakland to the Eliza Furnace Trail access point off of 2nd Ave. Okay, there wasn't an actual decision process in there, it was more of I wandered there for no particular reason. I had it in my mind to walk to the river, but never quite made it there. I walked down a curvy hill on Swinburne, almost getting hit by cars 4.75 times, then accross the Swinburne bridge, down Greenfield Ave., under the bridge to 2nd ave, then up a bike trail to the Eliza Furnace trail. The way I went didn't seem particularly safe or expedient, due to the low visibility for cars to see me on the winding hills. ^^My path ^^

If I had actually planned to go where I went, I might have thought to use Google Transit for walking directions. This shouldn't surprise anyone who is from or has evern been to Pittsburgh, but there are apparently stairs that will take me there. Steps in Pittsburgh are as common as the saying "You can't get there from here" when giving directions in Pittsburgh. There has even been an entire book written about them! Here is how I should have gone (if I were, again, actually intending to go there), and some close ups of the steps from Google Transit.





looks like a more direct path too... Still, maybe next time I'll actually go to a river...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If it were me, I would have gotten lost. ;-)