Monday, September 24, 2007
Ten Top Trivia Tips about Pigeons!
- Medieval knights put the skin of pigeons on their sword handles to improve the grip.
- Some hotels in Las Vegas have pigeons floating in their swimming pools.
- Pigeons once lost a Dolly Parton lookalike contest!
- Pigeons are the oldest playable musical instrument in the world.
- The risk of being struck by pigeons is one occurence every 9,300 years!
- Julius Caesar wore a laurel wreath to cover up pigeons.
- Pigeons can last longer without water than a camel can!
- Pigeons can sleep for three and a half years!
- Research indicates that pigeons will be attracted to people who have recently eaten bananas!
- Pigeonolatry is the mindless worship of pigeons.
Monday, September 17, 2007
Pigeons originally lived on the wild cliff faces of the European
and Asian seacoasts. Used by the Chinese for hundreds of years to send
messages they also carried money exchange rates between banks in Canton and Hong
Kong. Pigeons have been used extensively for delivering messages in times of
war. Early navigators took pigeons to sea in hopes that, if they became lost the
pigeon would show them the way to land. Pigeons can fly for 550 miles in
one day and can travel in bursts of speed up to 60 knots. They teach us
how to preserver and keep our focus on the goal at hand.
This amazing bird
holds the qualities of home, security and maternal instincts. Those with
this totem often experience unsettling childhood's and will be challenged
continually to acquire a solid secure foundation in all areas of their lives.
The pigeon assists us in finding the stability of home that has been lost.
No matter where pigeon ends up or how it gets there, it knows the way
home. The Pigeons gift to us is the ability to accomplish. They do
not get lost because they are in tune with the natural ways of earth, and are
always aware of their goals. They use all their senses equally and navigate
their lives in a balanced way. If Pigeon comes to you, it is asking you to
keep your sights and sensitivities clearly set on where you want to be, and
start moving. Even if you don’t know exactly how to get there, by
following your inner guidance you can find your way.
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
If I had actually planned to go where I went, I might have thought to use Google Transit for walking directions. This shouldn't surprise anyone who is from or has evern been to Pittsburgh, but there are apparently stairs that will take me there. Steps in Pittsburgh are as common as the saying "You can't get there from here" when giving directions in Pittsburgh. There has even been an entire book written about them! Here is how I should have gone (if I were, again, actually intending to go there), and some close ups of the steps from Google Transit.
Monday, September 10, 2007
My Favorite Music Videos that I have seen in my lifetime are:
- Fat Boy Slim, "Weapon of Choice," featuring Christopher Walken
- Korn, "Twisted Transitor," featuring Lil Jon, Xzibit, David Banner, and Snoop Dogg as Korn.
- Ok Go, "Here it Goes Again" (treadmills)
- Gorillaz, "Dare" or pretty much any Gorillaz music vid ever...
After the picnic and another lap around the resovoir I spotted an old fashioned SnoCone vendor. I had the dollar size cone. I was so thrilled at the possibilities of combining flavors. The man said I could have as many as I wanted, but that he didn't guarantee that would taste good. I got all the flavors EXCEPT banana, grape, and cotton candy. I mentioned to them about the sweetened condensed milk they put on top of the snocones in Trinidad. He said they have some marshmallow cream sauce they like to put on. It was awesome. And didn't cost a penny extra. Oh, sweet gooey goodness. He said if he didn't make another sale he'd still be happy because I (in my ebullience) had made his day.
Here is the ARTIST who created this MASTERPIECE, along with a comparison of the Highland Park cone and the San Juan Hill, Trinidad cone.
The multi-flavored-marshmallow-cream-topped-Highland Park cone
^^Trini cone *a mixture of only TWO flavors* with sweetened condensed milk ^^
Sunday, September 9, 2007
Tuesday, September 4, 2007
I have a hard time putting things into boxes.